Monday, July 6, 2015

White Pizza with Tomato, Basil and Mushrooms

So I've really been slacking with my blog lately and I feel horrible about it. Summer is super busy for me (and everyone else, I'm sure) with outdoor activities, vacation and of course the good old job. I'm going to try my best to get my blog back on track and I want to reassure you all that I've got lots of great DIY projects coming up (so many it's hard for me to focus on just one!) and I want to thank you all for sticking around with me while I get my blogging bearings back!

I haven't done a post about one of my recipes in a while so today I'm writing about one of my favorites: pizza. I am a huge lover of pizza (who isn't?!). I especially love white pizza. What is white pizza you ask? Why it's pizza without red sauce.

I have never been the biggest fan of tomato sauce. Heck on spaghetti night when I was growing up I'd put butter, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese on my noodles instead of tomato sauce. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a good pizza with red sauce (smothered in Parmesan of course) as much as the next guy, but I like experimenting and trying new and unusual foods. If you go into a big grocery store they usually have about 100 different kinds of pizzas. From the cheap cardboard variety to the expensive 2 pound fully loaded deep dish. They also have pizza dough for the semi homemade chef, which we all know is right up my alley.

One of my favorite pizza doughs is Pilsbury. It's cheap, easy to use and I know their products taste good (there's always some sort of Pilsbury rolls in my fridge). 

So one day I decided to try something new that I'd never tried. Of course I've had white pizza before and the sauces can range from no sauce at all, to alfredo sauce, to garlicky olive oil based sauces, pretty much anything you can think of that would make a good base sauce. It's quite a broad range and since my all time favorite food hands down is cheese, I decided to try a cream cheese based sauce.


I remember the first time I made this pizza it was pretty spur of the moment and I didn't feel like running to the store so I used what I had. With no meat that I thought would be good on a pizza in the fridge or freezer, I knew it would have to be a vegetable pizza. I gathered a bunch of ingredients I thought would make for a delicious pizza


White Pizza with Tomato, Basil and Mushrooms

  • pizza dough (I use Pilsbury refrigerated pizza dough but if you have your own recipe or favorite, by all means use it!)
  • one 2 cup bag of mozzarella/pizza cheese
  • 3/4 cup of softened cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • garlic powder for taste
  • tsp basil (I use dried for ease of use, but fresh is best!)
  • 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
  • 2 cups sliced, broiled baby portabello mushrooms (recipe as follows)
  • olive oil for broiling mushrooms
1.  Place sliced portabello mushrooms on a rack on top of a baking sheet, or just a baking sheet. (the rack just makes cleanup easier). Douse olive oil lightly over mushrooms to coat. Then sprinkle garlic powder on top of mushrooms.


2.  Place mushrooms in preheated oven set to 500.
3.  While waiting for mushrooms to broil, grease a cookie sheet or pizza pan with nonstick spray and form your pizza crust to the pan.
4.  Mix together sauce: softened cream cheese and sour cream along with garlic powder (to your taste) in a small bowl.



5.  Keep an eye on the mushrooms as they don't take long! Take them out when they are a dark brown color.
6.  Turn the oven down to 400.
7.  Prebake the dough for 8 minutes. Take the dough out and spread the sauce mixture on top of the crust.


8.  Place the rest of your ingredients on top of the sauce: shredded mozzarella, diced tomatoes, and mushrooms. Sprinkle the top with basil and of course as much or as little garlic powder you want.


9.  Bake pizza 6-10 minutes longer or until the crust is browned. If you want a soft crust do not prebake dough, instead spread the sauce and toppings on dough and bake for 13-17 minutes until crust is browned.


10. Let your pizza cool for a few minutes, slice and enjoy!


With the combination of cheeses, tomatoes, basil and garlicky mushrooms this makes for a wonderfully fresh addition to all the different pizzas we eat in my household. It is definitely a must try, especially if you've never had white pizza before! I hope you all love this pizza as much as I do!

Until the next time! 

-Sherri


*Disclaimer-  I am not affiliated with Pilsbury or any of the above mentioned/pictured products. On that note I will tell you all that I had visions of myself winning the Pilsbury Bakeoff after eating this pizza! But alas I never entered and by now it might be too late, but if it's not maybe someday this very recipe will be affiliated! (High hopes, people, I have high hopes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By Sherri.